Doom Summer Reruns: Remembering Our First Month — June 2006
Four years and seven million keystrokes ago, Igor, twist, John M, Admin and a host of friends brought forth … A NEW BLOG
Dedicated to you, our many readers.
Today is Housing Doom's 4th Birthday, and we're celebrating by starting a new series. Each week throughout the summer we plan to give you a selection of recycled Doom content:
- THE GOOD: lots of this;
- THE BAD: but only if it's funny; and,
- THE UGLY: wow, did housing, the US economy and then the whole world get uglier and uglier since we started on June 1, 2006; let's hope this summer finally sees a bottom to that!
Next Tuesday at this time we plan to cover the whole of Q3 '06, but for now just sit back and enjoy a selection of "greatest hits" from Doom's first month …
by twist, 6/14 '06
- "U.S. households overall have been managing their personal finances well" - Ben Bernanke
- maybe even better than US governments in those days …
by twist, 6/23 '06
Housing Doom has been featured widely, from Inman to the Associated Press; and our research has occasionally shown up, unattributed, in yet more fine mainstream media stories.
- AZ Republic: "Blogger logs fears of housing market" — "The more Gilbert resident Debi Averett researches the current real estate market, the more alarmed she becomes."
- "While I do not foresee the collapse of real estate as we know it in a tremendous national tragedy- I think the potential for thousands of individual tragedies is horrific."
- little did we know …
by twist, 6/7 '06
silly question …
- "Arizona's 'place in the sun' economically will probably be shortlived. It seems unlikely that Arizona will maintain its position in 2006."
by twist, 6/13 '06
Remember "soft landing" … ? Those were the days.
- "… It’s looking less likely the the US economy will have sufficient strength to protect real estate from a hard, bumpy landing."
by twist 6/27 '06
Right from the first we discovered that the blogosphere is generally a warm, friendly and supportive place.
- "People have found us through other various and diverse ways, and it’s been great having everyone stop by."
by twist, 6/23 '06
Indeed the wind hasn't really begun to die down yet.
- "According to the Mortgage Bankers Association, foreclosures in the first quarter of 2006 fell slightly from 2005- except for subprime loans. That looks like it might be a piece of bright news among a lot of bad- but it hints of potential difficulties to come. …"
by twist, 6/21 '06
Can you say, "Strategic Default" … ?
- "More people are discovering their “McMansions” aren’t the wonderful investment they thought they were- and sacrificing to maintain them is making less sense."
by twist, 6/25 '06
20 reader replies
by twist, 6/22 '06
Opening shot in a long campaign.
And last but not least …
Hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane (the internet never forgets ). See you next Tuesday!
by twist, 6/1 '06
deathless prose for the ages
- "Do I get a prize for being the first to post a comment?"
- Sure thing, Lander, and I see your SACRAMENTO LAND(ING) blog is still with us, if just hanging in.
- "can you ease up on the use of the strong orange? it makes my eyes tired …" - commenter Lawrence
- Start of a long Doom tradition …